Monday, March 14, 2016

Memorandum Monday - March 14th

Linking in with Sian & the other Monday wavers at : From High In The Sky

New to me this weekend was what Mr Man calls an adventure.  We have both been feeling a little house bound & winter blah, so I pulled out one of the suggestions from our file of  Adventures To Be Had  & off we set  Saturday afternoon.  Of course all the errands & house duties had been seen to first.  Adventure guilt free!

We headed east of us, to a little hamlet called Glen Williams, or as the residences call it, The Glen.  Glen Williams lies quite close in a valley to the Credit River & has many hiking / walking trails. 

Glen Oven Bakery / Cafe in Glen Williams


I knew there was a bakery / cafe in The Glen,  which was our primary destination.  The sun was shining,  afternoon temperatures were on the rise to 14+ (c) so that when we arrived at Glen Oven Bakery, their patio was open &  filled with walkers from the near by conservation area out for an afternoon adventure.  The bakery part had a steady stream of regular customers buying their weekly bread needs.  The fresh baking smells were wonderful & I drew in deep breaths of carb delights & exhaled lost resolve.

The cafe section of the bakery was small with a few tables & chairs still available, so we chose the window table to sit at.  We shared a pot of tea, Mr Man had a blueberry scone & I a lemon cranberry scone.  The young lady at the counter had offered to warm the scones up & I was so glad, as the butter & jam just melted right into the flaky goodness.  Flaky but not crumbly & we both agreed that the scones tasted like more - so we did.

Tea & The First Lemon Cranberry Scone
After our second scone & draining the pot of tea, we headed out to wander.  First up an antique bookshop.  As soon as we walked in we both inhaled that old but clean book smell.  We rummaged upstairs & downstairs with the aid of the shop owner, who had lots of interesting stories about the books & local history.  There were two very detailed front window displays; on the left in celebration of upcoming St Patrick's Day, Irish authors & Irish history & general information books; on the right a beautiful display about Lucy Maud Montgomery, author of Anne of Green Gables.  Lucy lived in neighbouring village, Norval, for about 6 years, writing several books while there.  A visit to Lucy's home & gardens are one of the Adventures To Be Had.

 Bookshop - Beaumont Mill Antiques & Collectibles

Upstairs in the bookshop

We then walked up the street to an artist mill which housed about 30 different talented folks.  There was glass blowing; jewelry making, fabric creations, painters in ink, pastels, oil & sketch; stone sculptors, meal works & photographers.  The piece that had us in awe was a very large metal elephant on the side of the building.  I will be using this piece of art later in the week for another blog post.



Entrance With Two Mill Buildings Housing The Artisans


Of all the art we had seen the one artist we most liked was Michele Rose,  While she was not present, she had several pieces of her works on display.  We both found her paintings to be very relaxing.  Our two favourite pieces.

Essex Village
Another Essex Village


















After a couple hours of wandering through the artist mill,  we wandered the main street, to look at some of the many stately heritage homes & cottages, beautifully refurbished & tended to. Glen Williams downtown is an intersection of 3 roads & the majority of Glen Williams lies behind this intersection.  It is an area that has seen a lot of recent large home/lot development, so all the homes have gone up in value. It is very expensive to live here.

The Charles William Historical House

Main Street Cottage


Once back to the car, we decided to take the leisurely country roads drive home, feeling quite refreshed. A definite revisit to the bakery for another afternoon tea & single scone outing.

I do hope everyone has some adventures in joy planned for the week ahead.     

"I wandered everywhere, through cities & countries wide, & everywhere I went, the world was on my side."  Roman Payne







30 comments:

  1. A tea shop , a bookshop and a craft shop? With temperatures of 14C? Heaven indeed! What a splendid day's expiring ... Great read :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have said 'exploring', not 'expiring' - apologies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alexa thanks & I liked the expiring, it made me chuckle because I have to say after the outing, we were pooped & needed a rest - too much winter sitting so our energy for the day had expired!

      Delete
  3. sounds an excellent adventure and those scones have me licking my lips - have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cafe also had a parsnip pear soup, which I would like to try on my return visit.

      Delete
  4. The scones tasted like more ... love that description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the guided tour - what a lovely place. Now, I have to ask. In England there are two very distinct ideas on how you pronounce the word 'scone'. Some say it like it rhymes with 'on' and some say it like it rhymes with 'own' - I wonder how you say it over there?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb this side of the pond you will get 2 camps, the scone own group & the scone on group. I must admit I bounce between the two, I must pay attention to which I say more often. :)

      Delete
    2. 'Scuse me sticking my oar in. Apparently Paul Hollywood asked the Queen Mother about this and she said "sk-on". Make of that what you will!!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an absolutely delightful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri. I hope to have more so I can blog more :)

      Delete
  7. A book shop and a craft shop? You can't get better than that...unless it's a trip to find out more about LMM! Your list sounds exactly like the kind of thing we were talking about ourselves over the weekend. I hope you get to go on another adventure soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the adventure file keeps growing as does my waist line because most adventures include an eatery of sorts in every destination.

      Delete
  8. Well, I'd love to do everything you did; a perfect day out for an adventure, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen you are more than welcome to join me any afternoon you would like :)

      Delete
  9. Looks like a really pleasant place to while away some time. The bookshop looks like a real treasure trove and I like the paintings too. They remind me of a children's book or animation but I can't think which. Great quote to finish - that's a keeper. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. This artist does sketches to order & we toyed with the idea of her doing her style of our patio - but then we saw the price !!.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of your list. Your description of your day out complete with smells, taste and sounds as well as visual really brings it alive. Loved Anne of Green Gables. Would love to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our list is so necessary otherwise we just go back & forth, what do you want to do. I would like to visit Nova Scotia where the story of Anne of Green Gables takes place.

      Delete
  12. I'm a big fan of Michele Rose's work but, much as I'd love to own a piece, it is way beyond my budget. I discovered her through a friend who follows all sorts of artists. I may have to copy you and name my list -'Adventures to be had' - a brilliant title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. Adventures To Be Had is both a bookmark online source & a paper file of things I have ripped out of newspapers & magazines. I like the peaceful feelings Michele's art evokes.

      Delete
  13. What a delightful adventure. Lovely to explore this place via your photos and comments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I would always be glad of your company on an adventure outing :)

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful day out. I love the idea of "Adventures To Be Had"! I'm in the scone rhyming with on camp. Also a huge fan of Anne of Green Gables fan, which I may have mentioned before.
    Thanks for your kind comment on my Easter baskets. They are a little fiddly so perhaps not for young children to make. I hope to post a "how to" next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bakeries and bookstores are two of our top adventures to be had as well. That looks and sounds like a delightful spot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love that idea... 'Adventures to be had'. Such a gorgeous place to visit too...I love those sort of days...wandering..exploring and eating a quaint little cafes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love that idea... 'Adventures to be had'. Such a gorgeous place to visit too...I love those sort of days...wandering..exploring and eating a quaint little cafes.

    ReplyDelete