Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Snap - Not So Friendly Neighbour

Snapping in with Helena at:  Snap

On a walk through my neighbourhood, I came across this recently installed gate with signage.  I think it is pretty clear that the owner(s) are quite definite about not wanting visitors.  This property has changed ownership twice that I know about in the last 5 years.  It was about 5 years I ago that I did walk around this property, with permission & there was not a gate or signs of keep out.  

Main Gate


While the gate does not give any indication of the beauty beyond it, believe me it is there or was.  Just around the bend in the photo is the main flowing river, which has a diverted side stream originally built for the mill (now in partial ruins) which has been damned by beavers, making quite a large & deep pond housing about 6-10 beavers.  There are also a fair number of white tailed deer, foxes, the annoying coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, ground hogs, fifthly raccoons & there's a rumour that a porcupine lives here, although I have not seen.  

I am sadden that this area has been walled, gated & over signaged,  but I do understand why - it prevents any hunting & further damage to the mill ruins by people driving ATVs & dirtbikes or illegal bush parties.

My wish is that the new owners have abundance of finances to refurbish the mill building & the wisdom to keep the natural surroundings untouched & protected.




Clear message & there is security cameras

In case there is any doubt - 1 of 3 Keep Out





















This Sign Protects The Wildlife of Which There Is Plenty















10 comments:

  1. sounds a fabulous place around the hidden corner - a shame this is what the owners feel they have to do to keep out unwanted visitors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when there's a good reason it's sad to see such ugly signs surrounding what must be a gorgeous spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting collection for snap this week. I agree with Helena, it does seem a shame that this is the way they have chosen to remain private.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sign, sign, everywhere a sign... So sad that this area has been blocked off, but understandable in order to preserve it. It's interesting to read your description of "annoying coyotes" and "filthy raccoons." Having never experienced those critters, I wouldn't expect them to be annoying or filthy. Haha. When we were in Florida on our honeymoon I called to an animal, "here kitty, kitty, kitty" and Doug stopped me saying, "It's a raccoon! Leave that alone!" Ignorance is bliss. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a shame people misuse the land so it is necessary to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a lot of signage. It's a shame that it's necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those signs give the message. What a shame that they feel it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't start me on over enthusiastic signage! We were the only people round here who voted against more "no parking" signs where we live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to see these - hope that it preserves it and they are able to restore the mill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. too bad you have lost a nice place for a walk..but can't blame them for not wanting hunting and those nasty ATVs on their land

    ReplyDelete