Monday, November 23, 2015

Me On Monday - November 23rd

Linking in with Sian & the other Monday Wavers at: http://fromhighinthesky.blogspot.ca/







This past week & weekend saw me perfecting my latest creation of egg salad sandwiches.  Instead of mayo I am using Renee's Cesar Salad Dressing, a squirt of mustard with horseradish, a bit of green relish & chopped with 2 hard boiled eggs.  I have been using marble rye bread, lightly toasted with lettuce - yummy / we had our first snow fall late Saturday night, pretty but most thankful I was home rather than driving.  Even though we get snow every year & lots of it, people forget how to drive in it /  Santa letters written to moans of "oh do we have to"; seems I'm soon becoming the only believer / Christmas cards have been written & addressed, just ready for December 1st posting /hauled out ALL of my Christmas scrapping stuff - no I don't need another thing; oh I want more, saw several pads of really nice Christmas paper at Michaels, on sale too, 40% off - a deal / a little time  spent in the garden trying to find the colour, it was mostly in the sunsets, so the day ending was giving me a few glorious pink sunsets to be grateful for / tried to convince my two fur girls that wearing a Santa collar would be fun - 1st attempts at Santa photos did not go as planned or well / Mr Man has been away travelling a lot for work through the last few weeks, so nice to have him home for the weekends / throughout my work week I have been writing up procedures for selling & using gift cards at the physio clinic, we have 2 RMTs & during the holidays we prompt massage as a gift / now to train the other two ladies on front desk how to use the correct codes & steps 



Canadian Living Christmas Cookbook

 / Stir Up Sunday, the 22nd, was a lot of fun for myself & Mr Man enjoyed all the bowls & spatulas that needed licking / using my favourite recipes, Christmas cake & treats all baked & in the freezer awaiting gifting / while things were in between being baked, I sorted through my gifting tins - Whoa there were quite a few, another thing I don't need any more of - fill & give is the kitchen motto for Christmas / for scrapping Christmas; Take This (ie empty tins, gift bags) & Turn It Into This; (ie filled bags & tins) / I could also do this with all my Christmas linens - a photo of them in the cupboard & then photos of them on the tables ... yeah I think I've found myself a theme! /finished watching an introduction TV special on Canada's new Defense Minister; I was suitably impressed.

Well Monday, let's do this dance again.


19 comments:

  1. My Nan was a tin hoarder - I sometimes regret not having taken more when we were clearing the house as there were some beautiful old ones. But they take up so much space. Sounds like you had a really homely weekend.
    Don't give in to the stash buying demons! You'll feel so much better using up old stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so far holding out against the buy more voice inside my head although I've had a few upsetting days with family matters so that little voices says buy & you'll feel better - I know that voice lies!!

      Delete
  2. Your egg salad sandwich sounds very yummy. I haven't bothered with a Christmas cake this year as it's only for me and it just won't get eaten. I don't think I'm hosting any meals this year so I won't be doing much seasonal cooking at all this year.

    Your weekend sounded very busy. I'm glad to hear that you still believe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I half the Christmas cake recipe & still get a few "loaves" out of it. I really like my cake but try to stay away from too much. For Christmas Day it's always just me & Mr Man, but he likes left overs so not too much worry about making too much. Oh yes I believe.

      Delete
  3. The temptation to buy new Christmas stash (stamps in my case!) can be overwhelming. I went mad the first few years I scrapped and now have enough themed paper to last pretty much indefinitely I'd say. That starry fabric is lovely, isn't it? I wanted something festive for the pin cushion, but subtle enough for year round use. Hope that chiropractor appt sets you up for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a edge to my chiropractor; he's also my boss, so he has to take care of me (lol). I do like the starry fabric, I'm on the hunt for paper like it & I think I found a close similar one in my Christmas paper stash!

      Delete
  4. You are very organised. Don't panic me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, snow already! I do like snow, but I don't envy you the long winters. It has suddenly become very cold here - found a thick layer of ice on a bucket of water in my garden today. They were forecasting snow for some areas of the isles over the weekend - not sure what became of it.
    Gifting tins: after seeing how pleased my sis was with the Easter biscuits, I have hunted high and low for Christmassy tins. No joy for ages then found four different designs and couldn't choose! (I bought two each of two designs and can foresee being in your position in time to come. #hoarderinthemaking)
    PS. Surely you don't freeze Christmas cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many prettty tins out there, I found 2 in my collection that look like little chests with round tops - hard to store so they are the first ones out (lol). I do freeze my Christmas cakes, so far no problems with texture or flavour.

      Delete
    2. I think I freeze all the treats mostly to keep out of easy reach - if they aren't frozen I'd probably be nibbling at them & before I'd know it they'd all be gone - I'm not sure I trust that the little bit of booze in my cakes would keep them without freezing, although I have heard that wrapping the cakes in booze soaked cheesecloth helps. :-)

      Delete
    3. I see. (For the avoidance of doubt, the question was in no way a criticism.)

      Delete
  6. I know someone who freezes Christmas cake very successfully: and she went to Catering College :)

    Would you believe that I only tried Caesar dressing for the first time in my life a couple of year's ago? Now I love it

    Sounds like a great weekend Mary-Lou and I hope it turns into an excellent week too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caesar salad is a tricky one for me - here, in many restaurants they use anchovies & I don't eat. I have tried making the Caesar dressing from scratch but so much work & I find Renee's as close to scratch dressing as any. I've also taken to putting it on my veggie burgers!

      Delete
  7. And we had our first snow this weekend too - thank goodness it didn't stick, I have enough trouble staying upright and balanced on dry land - I don't stand a chance when there is ice and snow LOL!! Little baking for me this year as we are away for Christmas and New Year - I just need a few mince pies for our last class and crop of the year. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to make mince pies this year. I eat them but I just haven't made them myself. I found a really good recipe for an all fruit no suet mince filling. I'll just have to see how much baking time I have. :-)

      Delete
  8. Belatedly waving from sunny Spain......we really don't see much snow here! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My you've been ready for quite awhile - our cards just got done this week and I had to laugh - my friend and I share a recipe or 2 as gifts at Christmas - when I went to give it to her I discovered I had absolutely no gift wrap - that's how prepared I am. :)

    ReplyDelete