Wednesday, September 09, 2015

It Is Black and White

Linking in with Helena's  Pairs:  http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.ca/

My Pairs this week had me exercising a lot of patience.  All summer I have tried for a photo of these uniquely coloured cattle.  I am totally fascinated by these beasts. The blocks of colour, the curly hair.  This particular herd of Belted Galloway cattle seem to be extremely shy and do not graze near the fence. So every time we had to go into town we took this detour route so I could maybe photography this herd.  Finally on Saturday September 5th they were nibbling in the front pasture.  My other half of Pairs are part of the same herd, but Holstein cows.

Belted Galloway's first recorded history indicates that they developed during the 16th Century in the former Galloway district of Scotland, a rugged and hilly seacoast region where hardiness was necessary for survival.  This breed is gaining a lot of popularity in our region. But aren't they all gorgeous?  I love cow eyes, so soulful and yes they can give a nasty kick, but that's the other end.


Belted Galloways Cow With Bull Babies
Holstein Cows



12 comments:

  1. We've always referred to the first set as Oreo cows after the cookies. After seeing them once and not taking a photo, I spent several years waiting for another opportunity. It took some off highway exploring, but a few years ago I got my photo---and did a scrapbook page for it as well! When I posted my layout, I finally found out the real name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd like to see your layout - I will check the history on your blog. I have heard Oreo for the cows and that also makes a great Pair, cookies and milk :)

      Delete
  2. There is a herd of belted galloways near me too! There is some historical significance for their being there - but I can't remember what it is! "Oreo cows" is a great nickname!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do wonder what the significance historically is? Being an important royal day, I wonder if this herd has something to do with royalty and warrants being issue for the breeding purposes ...

      Delete
  3. glad your patience paid off - great pair of herds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena. There are several herds of Holsteins around and we have a name for each of the individual herds, but mostly we refer to them as The Girls since most are herds of cows.

      Delete
  4. Well I'm heading to Galloway at the end of the week on my way to leave TTO back to university. Now I know what to look out for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh exciting trip out and hopefully you will catch a glimpse or two of the herds in their natural habit (maybe a photo or two). Hope you have a fun trip.

      Delete
  5. We saw a lot of Belted Galloway on Dartmoor. Brian was surprised at the number we saw and they really stand out on the moorland. I wonder whether the meat is tasty. Sorry farmer's wife talking there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love farm talk, so please chat on .... the farm that these beasties live at is a dairy farm but having said that, the two little Galloway bulls change that perspective if they are being kept for meat and as there are no veal huts, I doubt that aspect. I will be keeping an eye on all of them.

      Delete
  6. I'm with Maggie - I wondered about the productivity for the breed too. Nice looking animals tho'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must ask the local farmers that come into our physio clinic if they know about this particular herd - now I am really curious about their futures ...

      Delete