Monday, June 26, 2017

Memo, Mail & Me - It's Monday June 26th

Another storm rolls in


Good morning & hello to any of those still doing a Monday check in. While our official Monday Memos hostess, Sian, is taking a summer break, I thought I would try a new format for the Monday check in.

Memo To Mother Nature:   I would like to thank you for the rain as the trees are still recovering from last year's drought & appreciate the big drink.  BUT, having said that, the nearly 7" of rain in less than 2 hours was a bit drastic even for you!  So much flooding in the area & there's rain forecasted everyday this week.

Rain gauge from Friday's storm

Mail: technically not post mail, but an email received Sunday night from the latest hire at the clinic; she's quitting.  She's had enough of the boss forgetting to pay us, allowing us to run out of very necessary supplies along with far too many business disasters to mention.  She is done July 3rd.  I am feeling very sad as she was such a good fit for the clinic, but I do get why she is leaving.  I am not looking forward to the resume reading, interviewing & training bits again ...

In The Shopping Basket:  Both of our fur girls love water & spend a lot of time in the bathroom sink when water is running, so this weekend we bought them a water fountain.  So far they haven't been that interested.  I have suggested that we put on the bathroom counter to see if that doesn't spark their interest.

Also in the basket was two kits for making special Canada Day cookies.  Lots of celebrating & fun activities planned for this Saturday July 1st.


Summer Reading ListI read The Women In The Castle.  I liked.  In this one I was interested in what happened to the characters.  It is the story based around the attempted assassination of Hitler in 1944.  The reality was that after the dust settled & Hitler survived, he ordered the round up, via the Gestapo of over 7,000 people even remotely connected to those that plotted & executed close to 4,500 of them.  This book is a fictitious account of three of the widows of the men involved in the assassination plot & what happened to them during the last years of the war & up to 1991.  An interesting perspective woven in with real life events. 

Hoping everyone has a marvelous week ahead.  Don't forget this Thursday is our first check in for the Photo Scavenger Hunt - see you then.  

12 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree about the rain. I think we could send a message to Mother Nature saying, "No more. We're good." -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More rain today! Guelph Lake is about to flood its banks because they cannot let out anymore water at the damn as downstream is already flooding. Plan B is our set up in the garage - life is all about Plan B ...

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I hope those clouds have lifted by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More storms, lots of rolling thunder & downpours again today - I think I have webs developing between my toes! If I see any animals marching about in twos I am going to panic.

      Delete
  3. So frustrating when we need rain and then it comes with such force. So much just runs away without doing anything. Sounds like your boss needs taking in hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pouring rain again & everything is already soaked - too many extremes especially for the crops. My boss is an absent boss & does not give the clinic the attention it requires. Frustration is having me re-think my career choice!

      Delete
  4. A great post. I'm off to see if I can reserve that book at my library! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn not sure if your library is like ours, but I cheated just a bit with this book, regular copies had a long waiting list but not the large print, I requested the large print & got in 2 days. So when you request check to see if it comes in other formats, like large print ...

      Delete
  5. sounds a good book, I must look out for it. I hope you have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice that it is in paperback, although I don't tend to buy books these days - no storage.

      Delete
  6. I recently read Women in the Castle, and loved it. A different perspective in one case than one usually encounters in novels about the Holocaust. We, too, had a lot of rain yesterday. More was forecast for today, but so far we've escaped. We definitely don't need more rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain Rain Rain forecasted for everyday until next week - Mother Nature needs to take a break especially for Saturday - SO many community Canada Day celebrations planned out of doors! I have tickets for fireworks Saturday night.

      Delete