Monday, February 15, 2016

Monday Memorandum - February 15th

Connecting with Sian & the other lovely Monday Memo Makers at : From High In The Sky

Today is a holiday in Ontario - Family Day.  Not all provinces celebrate this day on this date, British Columbia (BC) celebrated Family Day on Monday February 8th.






Deb at Just Cats had a link for all the bird feeding folks to go out & create a little love of bird seed for all the hungry birds in our backyards. This was a new way for me to put seed out. Hoping to attract cardinals, I put dried cranberries in the middle with some nuts for the squirrels.

It has been bitterly cold over the last 3 days & while not record lows, it certainly smacks as note worthy.  It is the wind chill factor that can just ripe right through you, when I went out on Saturday to feed the birds, my nostrils stuck together - now that is cold. Saturday's wind chill made the temperature -34 (c).  Sunday not so much wind so while the temperature was colder, the wind chill was lower.


Saturday's Temperature - Wind Chill Made It -34

Sunday's Temperature - Wind Chill of -32



















On my brief outside walk to the library, I spotted in a large maple tree, a Pileated Woodpecker - a new & quite a rare sighting in this neighbourhood.  Such a huge bird & oh what a sound it makes.

I am going to try out a new way for me to scrapbook.  I have so many sketches pinned on my Pinterest boards, so I decided that I would start by creating the pages even before I had the photos.  I am not saying that this is the only way I will scrap, but for now I am giving it a go - I need to start using up my supplies & I am looking for more satisfaction in my completed pages.  This way I have a beautifully designed page & I know what direction & how many photos I should be capturing for an event.  This is the first sketch I am going to use - for the fur girls album.





Mr Man got a new book about the rocks & rock formations in Ontario.  I am sure we will be visiting some of these locations as part of our Summer Manifesto adventures.



 
I hope everyone has a good week ahead of them.  I am just glad the forecast is calling for snow, which means the temperatures are rising.

























26 comments:

  1. wow I can't imagine that cold - hope you are keeping warm. Love the look of that book and seeing your trips later in the year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is turning out to be a very interesting read for both of us. We are working on ideas for the Summer Manifesto Adventure List.

      Delete
  2. Minus thirty four? I moan about the very low minuses - I don't think I could cope with those kind of low temperatures! That wind chill factor is the worst, I don't think I'd survive an Ontario winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only claim that I am use to it & on the positive side, these kinds of colds are usually short lived for 3-4 days. Temperatures are more seasonal today with lots of snow.

      Delete
  3. Our temps are rising, too, but now there's a winter storm warning for tomorrow and I have several errands that require rather long distances. I'm not looking forward to it. Love that heart made from birdseed---clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes we can thank Texas for the moisture turned snow today - do they brine your roads before a storm? It is the latest in road management arsenal of winter care.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I could live there - I don't do cold weather! Hope you manage to attract some cardinals - please share the photos if you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laying clothes is the key to winter success. No cardinals today, we had a hawk hunting in the yard & field behind us. Every bird has taken cover!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's cold!

    I think the plan of making pages and enjoying your supplies is a great one. It sounds like a very satisfying way to scrapbook.

    Wishing you a safe, warm week

    ReplyDelete
  6. This long distance taste of your Ontario winter is intriguing. Frozen nostrils??? And the idea that oncoming snow means the temperature is RISING? How does that work? All very interesting.
    My sister in in NYC now and having her first taste of weather so cold it actually hurts when outside.
    What a weak bunch we are complaining of cold in winter here. I shall try to keep your poor nose in mind when I am tempted to moan in a few months time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when it is really really cold for several days, the air is dry but we got a Texas/Gulf low laden with mositure so it brings warmer moist air so when it hits our cold high it creates snow. This region is prone to temperature extremes - we get 40+ temps in the summer which is very humid.

      Delete
  7. Really like the idea of a family day holiday. And that book title is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those holidays when most if not all shops are closed so truly a day for family to be together. So far the book is proving to be an interesting read for both of us.

      Delete
    2. No cricism of the book - the title just made me laugh, was all. (Missing the exclamation mark?)

      Delete
  8. I can't really imagine those temperatures. The lowest we've had this Winter has been -8. That seemed pretty cold to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts of Canada get even colder temperatures & for longer periods of time, although it does make great conversations starters. Canadians love to talk about the weather :)

      Delete
  9. That gave me a shiver. Do let us know how you get on with making pages without photos. If you are successful, maybe I will give it a go as well - and have an excuse not to sort photos. Shame on me, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne, no shame. I have so many photos still to get through. My new method is on trial to see if I can use more supplies & have greater satisfaction with the done page. Of course I read that scrapbookers are never caught up, so that is encouraging (lol).

      Delete
  10. I'm looking forward to seeing your page(s). We feeling cold here - and we're only at about -3 or -4 Celsius with wind chill! Don't think i could cope with -34 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for some sunshine so I can take a proper photo of the layout. We had some much nicer temperatures today although snow & very dull overcast. I try not to let the weather affect me & my moods too much.

      Delete
  11. I really like using sketches, so I'll be watching to see how your layouts turn out. I made a few Starting Points backgrounds for layouts earlier this year & still have three that I can add photos to at some point. Wow, sounds really cold there still.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness it has been cold in your area! I find it difficult to make scrapbook pages in advance as I always want to match the paper to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my new style may work best with my garden albums, so many flowers in varying colours, anything will work (I hope).

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. There is a real push for outdoor activities with lots of free family related events. Part of the move more campaigns.

      Delete