Monday, February 01, 2016

Memorandum Monday - February 1st

Let's find out what is new with Sian & others at : http://fromhighinthesky.blogspot.ca/

This week what was new to me, was Restorative Yoga or what the instructor called,  Wall Yoga.  Very different from my previous yoga experiences.
 
Source

 
I have taken several 10 week yoga sessions in the past & I cannot remember enjoying all of the sessions very much for a couple of different reasons.  The biggest reason was location.  Classes held at the community hall, had a hard wood floor & it was often sticky dirty on our Monday morning class from the Saturday night wedding receptions. I tried another location but they had a daycare centre located within the building, which the entire class found too noisy.  Then I found Kathy's classes, she is one instructor that I really felt engaged with but after her 10 week session she stopped leading classes as she moved to a full time office position. Her replacement instructor just did not engage me enough to continue. I gave up yoga.  I keep hoping for a clone of Paper Turtle's  Deb

Recently posted on the library community board was information about a new type of yoga - a workshop (one introduction session) on a carpeted yoga studio floor, so coupled with my hot pink yoga mat, comfort & quiet could be found.   This instructor, assessed everyone & pronounced me to have a lot of tension in my hips.  No surprise for me.  I was introduced to several new yoga poses, many of them made use of the wall; you lay on your back, obviously, (said in my best Prof. Snape voice) with your bum as close to the wall as possible, your feet straight up the wall.  I had a hard time getting my bum right against the wall/floor, but once settled, we were lead  through 3 (maybe 4) poses.  Doing these wall poses nightly just before bed would/will help with disruptive sleep patterns (oh please let this be so).  My favourite pose was a non wall pose, called The Pigeon.  You start in Child's pose with an aid of a rolled towel under your chest/tummy & then you stretch out one leg  behind you rather than remaining curled under you. This is held for several minutes, then you switch legs .  In this pose I felt I could really "let go" the tightness in my back & hips.   Wall poses are going to take me some time to perfect.

This book was used as reference.

Source


I have since borrowed the reference book from the library &  have started a  new  pre-bed routine of the poses I found relaxing.  Since I can have the book for 3 weeks, I am hoping  this new routine takes hold, & I will not require the renewal of the book, I hope to know these poses by heart or that a new restorative yoga class will begin its 10 week debut sessions at the quiet, carpeted yoga studio.

Deb  any chance we can get you to move to our little community?  

21 comments:

  1. great to hear you have found a yoga session that works for you - so frustrating when one aspect is out. have a great week up against the wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena. From my experiences I think the instructor is a large part of the success of any class.

      Delete
  2. I keep hoping Deb may start an online group Skype style yoga class!
    I like the souls of wall yoga, I'm too much of a wobbler for the ones that involve balancing on one leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have suggested to her skype yoga. In this yoga session there were few wobble poses - thankful for that as I tend to topple over quite easily, then I invent my own pose to cover my blunder.

      Delete
  3. Argh..just lost my comment. The jist of it was: sleep well tonight my friend! And have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I often struggle to get to /stay asleep. I might investigate this type of yoga. I think it is a lack of being relaxed that does for my sleep. Hope you find this relaxing and useful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am giving this type of yoga a full chance to work the improvements. Relaxing as in turning down my brain chatter is a huge challenge for me.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your new venture! I miss yoga. Only did it for a short while, then my teacher moved overseas. I never did find another class I liked at a time I liked with a teacher I liked :o(
    As to the rest, my sleep hygiene is appalling (as you know). I have recently got a new mattress which is unlike any I have ever experienced. Bit offputting, but I'm getting used to it and am making efforts to settle into a good pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes our mutual woes of bad sleeping patterns. We flipped the mattress 2 weeks ago, made no difference. I may sign up for the Better Sleep course again X 2. But I have promised myself at least a full month of wall yoga to help.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to visualise getting that bottom up against the wall and imagine it could be difficult. I have never tried yoga but am a fan of Pilates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought bottom on floor against the wall, easy, boy was I wrong. This new studio in the village is offering both Yoga & Pilates. For me right now it's trying to find a solution to a sleep problem ...

      Delete
  8. Engaging with the instructor is so important, isn't it? I loved my pilates. Our teacher was wonderful, but he emigrated to Canada. His replacement turned the class into more of an aerobics session which, being as uncoordinated as I am, didn't suit me at all! I like the sound of the wall poses, must investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good instructor in any search for improvement is a gem. Like you I am not the most coordinated, but I did like aerobic class. I think Pilates & Yoga are good together, sound classes combine the two & once I get this sleep in order, I may switch to the combo class.

      Delete
  9. I could use some restorative yoga poses before I go to bed. There are so many poses I cannot do because of joint issues, that I gave up going to classes. I'm off to try Pilates again on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I would encourage you try finding the resource book if you cannot find a class. I find the instructions & accompanying photos really helpful. Have fun at Pilates.

      Delete
  10. Oh you are so sweet, Mary-Lou. I WISH I lived close enough that you could come to my classes! I love that you kept searching for yoga and found something that you enjoy. I use the wall for some of the restorative poses in my Saturday morning class, but the majority of the poses I lead are done on the mat, lying down with bolsters and blankets used as props for support. Such a beautiful and healing practice!!!

    LOVE pigeon pose and I lead that one a lot. I do have a couple of students who are NOT fans of that one. Can't please everyone all the time, eh?

    And I completely understand about your sentiments regarding the floor! My daughter says I'm a "floor snob" when it comes to yoga, but it really does make a difference! If you're going to be on the floor for an hour you want it to be kind of clean! So happy to know that you are practicing yoga as a bedtime routine. Keep up the great work! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Everyone thought I'd love the cat/cow move, but no it was the pigeon for me. I laughed at floor snob - oh yes that's me. I have promised myself a continuation to the end of February, then I'll reassess - I am hopeful, thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete
  11. That sounds like an amazing class. I've never heard of this type of yoga but I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I attend Pilates classes each week and love them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to hear your enthusiasm for your classes. Pilates classes are very popular here & once I get my Yoga balance stable I think I'll give Pilates another try.

      Delete