Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Pairs - Lest We Forget

Linking in with Helena's Pairs and the other Paired Folks at: http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.ca/

My Pairs this week are two of the many ways we remember those that gave their life for country, freedom & the rights of others.  It is with the most heartfelt Thanks this Remembrance Day, the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour I will take the 2 minutes of silence. 

 
Hwy 25 just outside Acton


After The Service


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Written By: Canadian Physician Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae, while at a field hospital during World War I



Poppies Sold By The Royal Canadian Legion

















 

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Helena. This year there are many many services, a real push to getting the kids involved in remembering. In Canada, the number of World War II veterans are fewer & fewer & I think the last surviving World War I veteran passed away this year.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes we were. I am thankful that we remember, I am thankful that were & are persons willing to defend our freedoms, our rights.

      Delete
  3. Very poignant and a wonderful reminder ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful. I posted my poppy to Instagram this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear & lose about 10 poppies a season - Instagram sound like a good alternative.

      Delete
  5. A fitting and proper pair for today. Thank you for giving me a pause for thought. I love that poem and was just mulling over the fact of the poet being Canadian when I remembered, we already had this conversation by e-mail a while ago! Gosh I'm daft sometimes! (Or was it someone else?)

    In recent years here, the poppy and its use have become the subject of extensive debate. Feelings run high and the whole thing can become very politically charged. This year again I have listened to some of the radio phone-ins and discussions, and time and time again I'm left with the thought that the real point is being missed, while simultaneously the question of sincerity slips ever further from view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Poppy under debate - why I had not heard about this. I think we had the discussion about the poem because this year in Guelph there was a large statue unveiled on the anniversary of the writing of the poem & we were at the site that day to hear the reading of the poem at the services in Belgium. It was very emotional.

      Delete
  6. Very poignant - I remember reading that poem amongst others when we studied WWI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Canadian school kids have to/had to learn this poem for Remembrance Day Services.

      Delete
  7. A very fitting and wonderful pair - well done x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful pair for such a special day. The services were wonderful. I'm thinking how neat it is that you are near the end of Halton's Veterans' Highway and I'm at the beginning of it. It's many, many years ago but I so remember learning In Flanders Fields at school.

    ReplyDelete